Selling the sustainable sizzle

A Pendle business is confident that its sausage will sizzle the loudest when it squares up to some big brand bangers in front of some 10,000 shoppers at Boundary Mill Store, Colne.

Playing its part in National Butchers Week, from Monday, March 23rd to 29th, sustainable foodies Roaming Roosters are flying the flag for local, traditional butchery methods with this pop up shop selling a range of grass fed meat.

Fronted by a butcher from the company’s farm shop in Barrowford Road, Higham, shoppers will have the chance to buy Rooster products, ask them their meat-related questions, as well as taking part in a blind taste testing exercise, where Roaming Roosters’ grass fed, gluten-free sausages will be pitched against popular supermarket brands.

Paul White, business development manager said: “We’re delighted to celebrate National Butchers Week alongside Boundary Mill. As an ambassador for real meat without the unnecessary extras, we think it’s vital that people understand the value in, and importance of shopping with a local butcher.

“A sausage only has to contain 42% meat to be called a sausage, which leads us to the worrying question; what is the other 58% made up of?

“Our native British breed pigs are reared on our own farm or from suppliers just down the road, they are made on our premises and contain only meat, rusk and seasoning; nothing else.”

“We’re putting our head above the parapet asking people themselves to judge which sausages they like best; and we’re confident that the results will come down in our favour.”

Kirsten Jones, head of marketing at Boundary Mill Stores, said: “We pride ourselves on offering quality goods at reasonable prices and Roaming Roosters do the same in the food arena. We’re happy to support a fellow local business in raising awareness about the journey our food takes from farm to fork, and will certainly be taking part in the taste testing exercise!”

Many people do a weekly shop without speaking to anyone about their purchases; at Roaming Roosters, we engage with our customers, ask them question and invite them to do the same and it’s vital that we use the platform of National Butchers Week to further engage with our community. Nick ‘the knife’ Mellin will be taking butchery questions all week via Roosters’ Facebook and Twitter platforms inviting people to pose their own meat-related questions to the professionals.