Business grants available during local restrictions
As national lockdown ended and we entered back into the Tier system from 2 December 2020, various types of support grants for businesses have been introduced or updated. Below is a summary of key points about some grants available to businesses during this stage of local restrictions
(Latest information as of 1 December)
- For businesses required to close under Tier 3 (Local Covid Alert Level ‘Very High’ restrictions)
- LRSG (Closed) also supports eligible businesses that are required to close under the new Tier 2 restrictions.
- Grant values: depending on your rateable value
- If your rateable value is of or below £15,000: you will be able to claim £667 per two weeks of closure (small businesses)
- If your rateable value is between £15,000 and £51,000: you will be able to claim £1,000 per two weeks of closure (medium-sized businesses)
- If your rateable value is exactly £51,000 or above: you will be able to claim £1500 per two weeks of closure (larger businesses)
- For businesses that are open but have been severely impacted by Tier 2 and Tier 3 (Local Covid Alert Level ‘High’ and ‘Very High’ restrictions)
- Primarily aimed at hospitality, hotel, bed & breakfast and leisure businesses
- A discretionary grant administered by Local Authorities, who will set out its specific scope
- Grant values: depending on the rateable value of the property on the date of the start of the local restrictions.
- For businesses required to close nationally since 23 March 2020 and not been able to reopen (i.e. nightclubs, dance halls and others) – covering only the period from 1 November 2020 onwards
- Grant values: depending on your rateable value in the same way as the LRSG (Closed) grant does (see above)
- For businesses outside the business rates system which are effectively forced to close, as well as “businesses which while not legally forced to close are severely impacted by the restrictions put in place to control the spread of Covid-19 (ex. businesses which supply the retail, hospitality, and leisure sectors, or businesses in the events sector)”
- A discretionary grant administered by local councils, who will define their own eligibility criteria for the scheme, as well specific grant values
- One-off £1,000 grant for ‘wet-led pubs’ (pubs that predominantly serve alcohol rather than provide food)
- Applicable across tiers 2 and 3 in lieu of Christmas trade
- Applicable in addition to the existing £3,000 monthly cash grant support
As the grants above are allocated through local authorities, businesses should check their local authority’s websites for specific requirements, relevant dates and how to apply for each grant.
Apart for those grants listed above which are available during local restrictions, businesses may also benefit from the Local Restrictions Support Grant (LRSG (Closed) Addendum), as well as grants available during national restrictions (including backdated grants).
*This article was originally posted on DTE website: https://www.dtegroup.com/news/covid-19-business-support-hub/business-grants-available-during-local-restrictions-latest-as-of-1-december/