Podcast with Jim Collins: Grow your leadership ability alongside your business for 2021
Business Psychologist Michael Costello meets one of the most influential thinkers on leadership of our era…Mr Jim Collins (who rarely gives an interview!).
Having authored or co-authored six books that have sold in total more than 10 million, Jim is releasing Beyond Entrepreneurship 2.0 to crack the challenge 'How do you turn your business in to an enduring great company?'
Reed Hastings at Netflix stated that the original book had more influence on his leadership than any other person or any other book.
Jim shares his thoughts on his time with Steve Jobs (during Jobs's wilderness years at 'NeXT') but also shares lessons from leaders at Xerox, Gillette and Netflix on what they did to grow personally & challenge their business.
The conversation pulls on the leadership behaviours of George Washington, Winston Churchill and President Kennedy to break the challenging business issues of today & offer a perspective on what we need from the American President Joe Biden during the Covid Crisis.
- Bill Lazier / The definition of leadership
- Advice for Joe Biden John F Kennedy’s decision making
- The artistry of leadership
- Why Joe Biden needs to confront the brutal facts….and why its “Stockdale paradox time”
- Don’t bet against the US and the UK’s “Deep Resilience” during Covid
- “Who Humility” Culture to drive action after debate & George Washington’s Silence
- Jim Collins’ time with Steve Jobs’ “Totally in the Wilderness” / Steve Jobs 1.0 and Steve Jobs 2.0
- Abraham Lincoln’s Restraint (“Never Signed and Never Sent”)
- The Personal Touch in Leadership… “A Deep respect and love of your people”
- From IBM’s Thomas J. Watson Jnr’s Open Door to Tactile Leading by Zooming Around
- “The Window & the Mirror” of Steve Jobs
- What the greatest CEO’s do to get the Right People in the Right Seats
- Ever Forward…Alive & Kicking at Netflix & Amazon & the Future of Leadership
- Jim’s message to Business Leaders…Is this the time for Big Hairy Audacious Goals?!
- What’s the most important thing that Jim Collins has learnt?
Book - B.E. 2.0 (Jim Collins & Bill Lazier): https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/538708/be-20-beyond-entrepreneurship-20-by-jim-collins-and-bill-lazier/ Jim Collins “Good to Great”: https://www.jimcollins.com/article_topics/articles/good-to-great.html
The Stockdale Paradox / Jim Stockdale: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-War-Jim-Stockdale/dp/0553253166
Ron Chernow – George Washington: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Washington-Life-Ron-Chernow/dp/0143119966
In Search of Excellence: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Search-Excellence-Americas-Best-Run-Companies/dp/1861977166
Robert Kennedy: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/342103.Thirteen_Days Ed Catmull: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creativity-Inc-Overcoming-Unseen-Inspiration/dp/0593070097 Anne Mulcahy: https://discoveryourtruenorth.org/anne-mulcahy-just-keep-fighting/
Image Credit: MATT NAGER FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL