Conlon begins drive to expand Leyland Trucks site

Preston-based Conlon Construction has started work on a renovation project at Leyland Trucks’ headquarters on Farington, Leyland.

LeylandTrucksDesigned by architectural and planning consultancy, Cassidy + Ashton, the 52-week scheme will create additional office accommodation at the world-famous truck manufacturer’s site, with an additional floor on top of the company’s existing two-storey office space.

The project also involves relocating Leyland Trucks’ design hub from its current base on the factory floor. The move will free up 12,271 sq ft of space to enable changes to the assembly process in-line with the company’s continuous improvement lean management strategy.

The complex project has been phased to enable Leyland Trucks to operate on a ‘business as usual’ footing throughout the programme, which includes an extension to the staff canteen, and creation of a conference room and visitor centre, in addition to upgrades to the office space, toilets and medical centre.

The scheme follows continued sales growth at Leyland Trucks, a wholly-owned subsidiary of PACCAR Inc, which first began manufacturing in Leyland in 1896 and currently employs more than 1,000 staff, producing 50 trucks per day.

Michael Conlon, chairman at Conlon Construction, said: “As a Lancashire business, we’re really proud to work for some of the most prestigious companies in the region and Leyland Trucks is amongst the most famous and successful there is.

“Our remit is to develop the existing facilities to a very high standard that meets the company’s operational requirements while ensuring that we work with them to design a programme that enables them to continue to work effectively while the project is delivered. “We have already liaised closely with Leyland Trucks’ management team to ensure the phasing for the programme dovetails with the needs of their business and, now that we are on site, we will continue to involve them in progress and respond to any day-to-day requirements to adjust the programme to their operational needs.”