Putting the region's cancer needs first
North West Cancer Research is an independent charity dedicated to putting our region’s cancer needs first, funding pioneering research to tackle the cause, improve the care and find the cure for cancer.
Research takes place across the region, including at Lancaster University, focussing on the types of cancer that affect people living across North West England and North Wales the most.
Since 2000, we have funded more than £45 million of world-class research and education, championing our local research community to pave the way for a cancer-free future.
In the past two years we have:
- Had over 50 active cancer projects running at any one time
- Created 22 international collaborations through our funded work
- Proudly funded a further nine new cancer research projects
- Seen 102 presentations of cancer research made
- Brought a further £8million of new funding into the region as a result of our support
At North West Cancer Research, we only fund the highest quality research that has the greatest impact on the lives of people in the region. We are proud to be members of the Association of Medical Research Charities (AMRC) adhering to their processes and guidance to ensure that all our funding and the management of our research is transparent and rigorous.
To further our ability to have the biggest impact on the people across the region, we have introduced greater diversity into the types of projects we that we fund and the work we do. Since 2019/20 we have seen:
- 44% of projects funded to Tackle the Cause. By funding research that seeks to understand the biological mechanisms that cause cancer and the differences in our communities that lead to higher cancer levels we can tackle the cause of cancer
- 34% of projects funded to Improve the Care. By funding kinder treatments and better ways of communicating we can improve the care for cancer patients in our region
- 22% of projects funded to Find the Cure. By funding world-class research to create new drugs and surgical techniques we will find a cure for cancer
We are also proud that during the last year we have committed a further £2.6million to research as well as directly engaging with over 12,500 people as part of our education and outreach work. All of this information and more can be found in our annual Impact report nwcr-impact-report-2020-digital.pdf.
At North West Cancer Research, we are passionate about connecting with the communities we serve, never losing our local focus with the work we do and as Community Fundraiser & Engagement officer for Lancashire, I am excited to share more about who North West Cancer Research are, what we do and why we do it with businesses across the county.